I never knew there were options to birth control other than chemical contraceptives and barrier methods.
The concept of using chemical birth control until you & your spouse were ready to start a family is considered being responsible by many Believers – it was promoted as the RIGHT thing to do in most “Christian circles” I have been exposed to.
In a lot of cases, this can be attributed to ignorance or have been taught false information. There may even be some truth to the speculation that the reason your women’s health provider doesn’t bring up non-hormonal methods is that chemical birth control brings in a lot of money.
1) God is the creator of all life.
- Genesis 1:27 “So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.”
- Genesis 2:7 “Then the Lord God formed the man of dust from the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living creature.”
- Jeremiah 1:5 “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you and before you were born I consecrated you; I appointed you a prophet to the nations.”
- Psalm 139:13-16 “For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well. My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them.”
- Job 10:8-12 “Your hands fashioned and made me, and now you have destroyed me altogether. Remember that you have made me like clay; and will you return me to the dust? Did you not pour me out like milk and curdle me like cheese? You clothed me with skin and flesh, and knit me together with bones and sinews. You have granted me life and steadfast love, and your care has preserved my spirit.”
- Isaiah 49:1 “Listen to me, O coastlands, and give attention, you peoples from afar. The Lord called me from the womb, from the body of my mother he named my name.”
- Job 31:15 “Did not he who made me in the womb make him? And did not fashion us in the womb?”
2) Life is sacred because God created it. It should be regarded as very special.
- 1 Corinthians 3:16-17 “Do you not know that you are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in you? If anyone destroys God’s temple, God will destroy him. For God’s temple is holy, and you are that temple.”
- Psalm 127:3 “Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward.”
3) The Bible says that during the coming days of distress, as the world becomes more full of evil, people will not want to have children. Children will be considered a nuisance.
- Luke 23:29 “For behold, the days are coming when they will say ‘Blessed are the barren and the wombs that never bore and the breasts that never nursed!”
4) Our flesh pulls us towards self-centeredness. Many people do not want children because it will disrupt their current lifestyle or because they want to pursue their own self-focused goals. Children then, force us to take the focus off of our self. Self-centeredness glorifies/worships self instead of God.
- Philippians 2:3-4 “Do nothing from rivalry or conceit but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests but also to the interests of others.”
5) God is at work in our life. There are no accidents. He has a plan for us. God is completely SOVEREIGN.
- Psalm 103:19 “The Lord has established His throne in the heavens, and His kingdom rules over all.”
- Isaiah 46:8-10 “Remember this and stand firm, recall it to mind, you transgressors, remember the former things of old; for I am God, and there is no other; I am God and there is none like me, declaring the end from the beginning and from ancient times things not yet done saying ‘My counsel shall stand, and I will accomplish all my purpose.’”
- Romans 8:28 “And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.”
- Jeremiah 29:11 “For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.”
- Job 12:10 “In His hand is the life of every living thing and the breath of all mankind.”
- Proverbs 16:9 “The heart of a man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps.”
- Proverbs 21:1 “The king’s heart is a stream of water in the hand of the Lord; He turns it wherever He will.”
- Genesis 50:20 “As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good, to bring it about that many people should be kept alive, as they are today.”
- Acts 2:23 “This Jesus, delivered up according to the definite plan and foreknowledge of God, you crucified and killed by the hands of lawless men.”
- Isaiah 14:27 “For the Lord of hosts has purposed, and who will annul it? His hand is stretched out, and who will turn it back?”
- Psalm 37:23 “The steps of a man are established by the Lord when He delights in His way.”
- Psalm 115:3 “Our God is in the heavens; He does all that He pleases.”
6) Chemical birth control causes abortions
- “The minipill, also known as the progestin-only birth control pill, is an oral contraceptive that contains the hormone progestin… The minipill thickens the cervical mucus and thins the lining of the uterus (endometrium) – preventing sperm from reaching the egg. The minipill also sometimes suppresses ovulation.” www.mayoclinic.com
- “Progesterone-only pills are an effective method of contraception. They work by stopping ovulation, preventing sperm from reaching the egg as well as preventing a fertilized egg from implanting in the uterus…. The progesterone-only pill has a double effect on the reproductive system. The first is to cause changes to the uterus, namely thickening the mucus in the cervix (neck of the womb) making it difficult for sperm to get into the uterus. Also it thins the lining of the uterus so that it appears to be already bearing an egg, this way the newly fertilized egg could not implant itself in the uterus. The second change is to suppress ovulation…” www.dred.com
- “Progestin-only pills suppress ovulation in about half of the menstrual cycle so the women who take them. But they prevent conception primarily by causing changes in the cervical mucus. The mucus thickens, making it difficult for sperm to get through the cervix. So even if you do ovulate, sperm won’t be able to make their way to your fallopian tubes to fertilize the egg. What’s more, the progestin may prevent pregnancy by thinning the lining of your uterus, making it less likely than an egg would implant there even if one did get fertilized.” www.babycenter.com
- “When the Pill is taken as directed, the estrogen and progestin work together to prevent pregnancy primarily by suppressing ovulation. This means they keep your ovaries from releasing any eggs. The progestin in the Pill has other contraceptive effects, too. It thickens your cervical mucus, making it hard for sperm to get through your cervix and into your fallopian tubes to fertilize an egg, if one is released. The changes in your mucus may also make it harder for sperm to penetrate the tough outer coating of the egg. Finally progestin thins the lining in your uterus, making it less likely than an egg would implant if it did get fertilized.” www.babycenter.com
- “However, ovulation may not be consistently suppressed on POPs. Five percent of women using POPs will have an unintended pregnancy within the first year of typical use. Perfect use rate is 0.5%. The change of becoming pregnant increases with missed pills. While the overall risk of ectopic (tubal) pregnancy is lowered by this method, any pregnancy that does occur is more likely to be ectopic.” www.mckinley.illinoise.edu
- Dr. Hymie Gordon, Chairman of the Department of Genetics at the Mayo Clinic, said “By all the criteria of modern molecular biology, life is present from the moment of conception.” www.prolife.com
- Dr. McCarthy de Mere, a medical doctor and law professor at the University of Tennessee, testified “The exact moment of the beginning of personhood and of the human body is at the moment of conception.” www.prolife.com
- Dr. Jerome Lejeune, The Father of Modern Genetics, testified that, “Each of us has a very precise moment which is the time at which the whole necessary and sufficient genetic information is gathered inside one cell, the fertilized egg, and this is the moment of fertilization. There is not the slightest doubt about that and we know that this information is written on a kind of ribbon we call DNA.” The late Dr. Lejeune of Paris, France, discovered the genetic cause of Down Syndrome. He received the Kennedy Prize for this discovery, as well as the Memorial Allen Award Medal, the world’s highest award for work in the field of Genetics. www.prolife.com
- Paul L. Hayes, MD, Board Certified Fellow of the American College of Obstetricians/Gynecologists “From medical textbooks and pharmacy references, to statements from the Pill-manufacturers themselves …. Beyond any doubt, the abortion-causing action of birth control pills.” www.prolife.com
- “The zygote represents the first stage in the development of a genetically unique organism. The zygote is endowed with genes from two parents, and thus it is diploid (carrying two sets of chromosomes.) The joining of haploid gametes to produce a diploid zygote is a common feature in the sexual reproduction of all organisms except bacteria.” http://www.lifenews.com/2013/01/23/narals-pro-abortion-science-fail-a-zygote-is-not-a-baby/
- All chemical birth control is either Progestin-Only or various combinations of Estrogen + Progestin. This is not just contraceptives that come in the shape of a pill, this is also how Depo shot, Mirena IUD, Implanon, NuvaRing etc work.
7) In a nutshell:
- Chemical birth control sometimes suppresses ovulation. It doesn’t guarantee that you will not ever ovulate, just that you probably won’t ovulate as often.
- Chemical birth control creates a change in the hormone that forms the outer shell of the egg, making it harder for the sperm to fertilize. This hormone usually drops during a woman’s fertile cycle making the shell of the egg thinner and easier to for the sperm to penetrate.
- Life begins at conception. Once the sperm fertilizes the egg it forms a Zygote. This tiny, tiny baby has ALL of its DNA that it will ever have. It is a genetically complete human. It is just so young that it hasn’t had the chance to behave in all the ways that an older human behaves.
- Chemical birth control causes increased mucus – makes it harder for the sperm to fertilize the egg. This also makes it harder for a zygote (baby!) to swim up to the uterus. It is creating an inhospitable environment – one that can kill a tiny baby.
- The Pill causes abortions also by interfering with the flexing motions and the cilia movement of the fallopian tubes. This changes the transportation of the newly conceived child from the fallopian tubes to the womb. The baby starves to death. www.prolife.com
- Chemical birth control causes thinning of the endometrium (the lining of the uterus), making it hard for implantation. This is the biggest deal breaker. Fertilization has already taken place. A zygote is a REAL PERSON. Since the baby can’t attach to the uterus – it can’t receive nutrients from the mother. The baby starves to death.
8) Chemical birth controls can be very dangerous for women to take
- “Some physical and emotional changes take place that is permanent while you stay on the pill…. Larger breasts; weight gain or loss; reduced or increased acne; slight nausea; emotional sensitivity right before your period; mood swings throughout your cycle; irregular bleeding or spotting; breast tenderness; decreased libido …. And even scarier than the “mild” side effects are the serious health risks that accompany taking birth control pills. These include: Increased risk of cervical and breast cancer; increased risk of heart attack and stroke; migraines; higher blood pressure; gallbladder disease; infertility; benign liver tumors; decreased bone density; yeast overgrowth and infection (because they destroy the beneficial bacteria in your intestines, which makes you more susceptible to lower immunity and infection); increased risk of blood clotting.” http://bodyecology.com/articles/dangers_birth_control_pill.php#.UdiCp_nVBzM
- A study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association found that women with a strong family history of breast cancer may have up to 11 times higher risk of breast cancer if they have ever taken the pill.
- “Studies estimate that each year, about 15 to 30 in 100,000 Pill users will get a potentially dangerous clot” http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/health&id=5303491
- As a side note, I have a friend who lost part of her vision due to a blood clot behind her eye as a result to chemical birth control.
- Here is another study about how the FDA is warning about the dangers of blood clots in women who are taking some forms of chemical birth control: http://www.fda.gov/drugs/drugsafety/ucm299305.htm And here is a publication about dangerous birth control pills: http://www.bottomlinepublications.com/content/article/health-a-healing/the-most-dangerous-birth-control-pills
- “PMS never existed before the Pill!” www.myhealthiestlife.com/2011/07/how-dangerous-are-birth-control-pills-for-womens-health/
- “Since the introduction of the Pill, there’s been an explosion of women’s diseases and maladies in a scope never experienced before in the history of medicine: Migraine headaches; PMS; Breast Cancer; Heart Disease; Heart Attacks; Strokes; Blood Clots; High Blood Pressure; Uterine Cancer; Infertility; Depression; Post-Partum Depression; Uterine Fibroids; Unnecessary Hysterectomies; Anxiety Disorders.” www.myhealthiestlife.com/2011/07/how-dangerous-are-birth-control-pills-for-womens-health/
- This page has a HUGE amount of information detailing why chemical birth control is dangerous! www.myhealthiestlife.com/2011/07/how-dangerous-are-birth-control-pills-for-womens-health/
- Dr Natasha Cambell-McBride “It causes many deficiencies, it tends to create copper/zinc imbalances, and it causes women to lose all interest in sex, which seems very counterproductive. We need to teach young women about natural family planning and about honoring our cycles! The estrogens in the pill are all synthetic, and not the same molecules that the body produces. Instead they are called, “xeno-estrogens” and are harmful to the body. The pill also causes differences in the viscosity of the blood and can cause heart disease, stroke and a long list of problems. We’ve just touched the tip of the iceberg in our understanding of the complexity of hormonal balance of the human body, we are in no position to be messing with that.” kellythekitchenkop.com/2012/01/dangers-of-the-birth-control-pill.html
- “A woman who takes the Pill for two years before she’s 25 and before she’s had a pregnancy to term increases her risk of breast cancer tenfold. Because of blocked hormone production, women who take the Pill have decreased sensitivity to smell. Because sexual interest is communicated through smell, the Pill may decrease women’s sex drives. In Solved: The Riddles of Illness, Dr Stephen Langer writes that ‘The Pill… can cause severe bodily damage in hypothyroidism.’ Oral contraceptives may aggravate insulin resistance and long-term risk of diabetes and heart disease. Many women taking the Pill have reported weight gain- a sign of estrogen dominance and/or insulin resistance – as well as depression and even psychosis. It’s worth noting that the mini-Pill, a progestin-only pill, may not suppress ovulation or conception from occurring.” kellythekitchenkop.com/2012/01/dangers-of-the-birth-control-pill.html
- “The pill completely destroys your adrenals and once those are out of whack, every hormone in your body is out of whack.” kellythekitchenkop.com/2012/01/dangers-of-the-birth-control-pill.html
- “A Mayo Clinic study confirms that any young girl or woman who is on hormonal birth control for 4 years prior to their first full-term pregnancy increases their breast cancer risk by 52%” http://www.renewamerica.com/columns/giroux/120214
- “Women who use hormonal birth control for more than 5 years are four times more likely to develop cervical cancer.” http://www.renewamerica.com/columns/giroux/120214
- “This is not information that should be kept from the public. Women deserve to be told the truth. They are not being warned that birth control methods are causing breast, liver and cervical cancer. They are not being told about the “silent killer” effect which is causing them to unknowingly abort their babies. They are instead being told that they are healthier on birth control because it decreases ovarian and uterine cancer. According to the American Cancer Society, out of 100 women with cancer, 31 have breast cancer, 6 have uterine cancer, and 3 have ovarian cancer. This is not a healthy tradeoff of risks that is worth taking.” http://www.renewamerica.com/columns/giroux/120214
- “A 1996 analysis of epidemiologic data from more than 50 studies worldwide by the Collaborative Group on Hormonal Factors in Breast Cancer found that women who were current or recent users of birth control pills had a slightly higher risk of developing breast cancer than women who had never used the pill. The risk was highest for women who started using oral contraceptives as teenagers. However, 10 or more years after women stopped using oral contraceptives, their risk of developing breast cancer had returned to the same level as if they had never used birth control pills, regardless of family history of breast cancer, reproductive history, geographic area of residence, ethnic background, differences in study design, dose and type of hormone(s) used, or duration of use. In addition, breast cancers diagnosed in women who had stopped using oral contraceptives for 10 or more years were less advanced than breast cancers diagnosed in women who had never used oral contraceptives.” http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/oral-contraceptives
So for me, the decision is primarily a moral one. I believe that God is the creator of life, therefore life is sacred. I believe that life begins at conception – you have all the chromosomes you will EVER have as soon as you become a zygote. You are a genetically complete human being. Chemical birth control affects the womb, therefore it is an abortifacient. My decision is also one made for health reasons. I have had some very bad reactions to birth control, regardless of the brand, pill or device used. Some of these being: weight gain, depression, anxiety, a tumor in the liver, liver and gallbladder pain, irregular bleeding, headaches, etc. With a family history of various cancers, including breast cancer, it is not a wise thing for me to do.
God has lovingly given women a reproductive system that has very clear signs to determine when her fertile cycle is present. In the next article I write, it will be to discuss the Fertility Awareness Method.